top of page
Music Notes

  Audition & Enrollment Materials  

Getting enrolled for the 2020-21 school year 

The ACHS 8th-grade Information Nights have passed, most of us are spending all or the majority of our time at home, and you are probably deciding (if you haven’t already) which high school your soon-to-be freshman will attend in the fall and which programs they should participate in! We wanted to take this opportunity to provide some information pertaining specifically to the Music Program at ACHS.  Firstly, if your student plans on participating with any part of Camarillo Music in the 2020-2021 school year, please FILL OUT THIS FORM. This includes incoming freshmen and returning students.

Music enrollment FAQs

What class should my student enroll in?

In the short term, incoming freshmen should enroll in Concert Band, String Orchestra, Marching Band, and/or Percussion. Following auditions, we will sort out where students will end up.


All new students are asked to play an audition for the directors in late May or early June. The audition materials and information are below. The audition DOES NOT determine whether or not students can participate in our ensembles. It does, however, give us a chance to listen to the student play and place them in the concert ensemble (and jazz band, should they choose to audition for this as well) that best matches their current ability level.


Separate placement auditions also take place for the marching band battery (drumline) and front ensemble in August once school is back in session. Please look for materials to prepare for this as our typical May clinics have been canceled.


How can my student transfer from another high school in the Oxnard Union High School District?

There are currently three classes offered by the ACHS Music Department that aren’t offered elsewhere in the district - Jazz, Orchestra and Digital Music. As such, these are smart considerations for courses to enroll in when requesting an intradistrict transfer.


Non-Music Department courses include Agriculture and German. The most critical part of this process is to be patient, realize that missing the deadline does not disqualify the transfer request and do not take no for an answer. We will help you through this process as needed.

Is Marching Band Required? Do I get P.E. Credit?

Marching Band is NOT required for any students. However, we recommend that all freshman wind players and percussionists do at least one year of Marching Band, as we find that students make lots of powerful friendships in this ensemble and generally feel more engaged and attached to the Music Program.


If you choose to be in the marching band class, it does count for one semester of P.E. credit. As such, it opens one period in your schedule that you can use for an additional elective like a world language. 


I'm worried about my student not having enough room for their non-music classes

Don’t worry; we have good news!


If your student wants to take marching band and jazz band as well as the required co-requisite concert ensemble, they can still fit all required non-music classes in their schedule!.


Jazz Band and Marching Band are both offered outside of the standard 6-period school day. To ensure flexibility in their schedule, we recommend freshmen take Health during summer school or after freshman year. 


Additional questions?

We are well aware that our 14-plus course offerings on top of the transition to high school can be intimidating! If you’re unsure of any aspect of Camarillo Music or if you have ANY questions, please email Mr. Cook or Mr. Guerrero or call 805-834-1486 . The directors are happy to sort out any questions you may have, including (but not limited to) scheduling, credits, or summer school options.

Audition music & information

2021-2022 Jazz Audition Music


2021-2022 Wind Bands Audition Music


2021-2022 Orchestra Music

Students should sign-up for concert and jazz auditions separately. This is for 8th graders AND returning students.

Please reload

bottom of page